Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Bushels of Candy

It's fall, or so says the calendar, shops, and everything inside me. I think every year about this time I make some kind of warm, fuzzy and some-what pseudo spiritual nostalgic post about fall and then complain about how in Houston it doesn't feel like fall because it's so darn hot. This year isn't about to be an exception.

It is in fact fall though I'm really only sure of this because of the fake fall leaves, witches, ghosts, and bales of hay in every store not to mention bushels of candy. I always find it interesting that stores put their Halloween candy out in the bushel baskets but the apples are in plastic bags. Anyway, it is hot but we are in Houston so I can't act surprised that we're into October and still melting with temperatures in the 90's and humidity at 80%. But that's ok. No, I'm not getting used to the heat (I know I'm from Florida but even growing up something inside me knew it was supposed to get cool in the fall!) I've just started to accept that this is the way it is and there's no point in bemoaning the heat.

So now to the warm and fuzzy part: fall is a time for change, for introspection and yet global awareness, for celebrating the fuits of the earth, sharing with others and preparing for winter. This past week in school Ophelia learned about St. George and the Dragon and how overcoming the dragons (or fears) within us gives us strength to help others...Oh forget it. While those things are true and good and I'm sure a whole bunch of other great thoughts apply I can't get warm and fuzzy when it's hot and humid. So here are my fall update bullet points.

Coming changes:
  • We're moving! We're out of here and into the new house on the 14th. The new house has a large front and back yard, on a cul-de-sac, and more rooms. I'll post pics once we move.
  • Ophelia's changed schools! This one deserves it's own post and I have one coming.
  • We're going back to teaching full-time and Jeremy's a contract tutor for a company that helps international families relocate- he's teaching French.
  • Jeremy's working his way out of the coffee shop, has learned everything he feels he can there and is teaching full time. Only so many hours in a day.

Recent adventures (Big and Small):
  • All 5 of us were in Anna-Lynn (Jeremy's lil' sis for those of you that don't know) and Jason's wedding on the 23rd of September- it was beautiful and deserves it's own post as well when we have pictures to share.
  • Traveling to CA for the wedding- what a nightmare! And not just because we were traveling with three young children (they were the easy part!) but because we felt we were in a C movie: "Planes, Hotels, Concerts and Automobiles."
  • Broken water pipe in the ceiling/wall while we were out of town= flooded dining room.
  • School- always an adventure sometimes in a positive way and other times... not-so-positive.
  • Derek Webb concert so sold out we actually sold seats again after the concert started and still had to turn many people away- first wildly successful concert I've run.
  • Strange sickness for Ophelia who is doing MUCH better now.

Maybe I'll get around to an introverted fall post later- when I get a chance to slow down and be introspective which happens a lot during the long car drive to and from Ophelia's school, when I'm' working in the garden, or writing music but these days I'd rather do those things in between packing, cleaning, fundraising, work and all that other stuff than to sit down with the computer. Sorry. It's not you, it's me. But maybe soon, soon I'll get back to writing.

For those of you living where leaves change, send me a picture! I am seriously missing Lincoln Park right now and could use some fall colors in my life. Happy Fall!

Jessica

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to rub it in your face -- but it is an exceptionally beautiful fall here in Chicago!
But don't get too teary! We're having high temps at 80 and some very nasty storms.
I'll look forward to your introspection!!!

4:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok so last week we had fall, actually had to go buy jackson more pants and sweatshirts, but yesterday it was back up to 91 in the afternoon. So maybe I am not getting the full fall experience yet. Once we have some pretty tree pictures I will send them your way. Miss you and the girls a ton! By the way this is Rebecca it won't take my login anymore...

7:01 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Rebecca, you're far enough south that fall will take a little longer to reach you but by the time Halloween rolls around it will be beautiful. Still, I'm surprised it's as warm as it is for you guys this late in the year.

And Kathi, I KNEW it was great in Chicago! Every day that I walk outside hoping for some kind of change in the weather (oh look, it's cooled down to 94 today!) I can't help but think of what it would be like in Chicago. Then I torture myself by checking the weather! AH! I'm glad you get to enjoy it though!

7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home