Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Doxology

I wish I had a picture to go along with this, but I don’t. Living in Houston means being able to play outside in March; and some of February. And by playing outside, I mean doing so in shorts and a T-shirt. Ophelia is on Spring Break, as you may know, and this has been a good time for the 3 girls to play together. This past Monday, noticing how well they were getting along playing in our front yard, I decided to make them a picnic lunch so they could keep enjoying the fine weather. Having delivered their plates, I walked back into the house to get them drinks and paused to listen as they gathered around the picnic blanket. One of the girls made a comment about needing drinks, and Ophelia said she would get them, but that they should pray first. Usually, when we all eat together, the girls end up vying to be the person that “picks” our prayer (we have several prayers that we either say or sing together, and we also encourage individual prayers). I was surprised that an argument didn’t start. Instead, after a moment of conversation that I couldn’t make out, my 3 girls started singing the Doxology (“Praise God from Whom All Blessings Flow”). They know the tune really well, and they stumbled their way through most of the words, hands folded, eyes tightly closed (except for Lavinia who was eyeing her food). I was impressed, and moved. It was a beautiful sight, and I am really proud of my three little girls acting so grown up. By the way, if you haven’t seen a 2 or 3 year old pray, it is the cutest thing in the world. There’s just something about the way that they scrunch up their faces when they close their eyes that is just precious.

Written by Jeremy (A.K.A "Daddy)


3 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

yay you blogged! that's all i've got.

10:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awe too cute...when I used to teach daycare I always taught my kids the doxology instead of the other silly prayers that they often sing at school..

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to be there with the girls to have a picnic!
We didn't have a video camera when you'll were little, I missed alot of special moments, But they are forever in my head.
Mom Martin

2:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home