Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Screwdriver Sketches


You may not initially be impressed by this sketch but, trust me, you should be. This work of art was created by an 8 year old girl. It's true, it's not perfect, she still has a lot to learn but considering that she's 8 there's a lot of promise contained in this sketch. The original sketch is a Christmas gift for someone so I won't get to keep it like I do most of her other pieces so it had to be scanned in for posterity's sake- and so I could brag. The image below is of the same screwdriver sketch about 3 months ago (when she was 7 and it's not a very good scan, sorry) and is just to show some comparison of her developing skills. Ophelia tends to be drawn to the every day things, items she can focus on in one sitting. If it's too big or too detailed she'll become overwhelmed. Something about the screwdriver drew her back to try it again, I'm not sure what but she mentioned how she liked the contrast in how the light reflected off the metal and but there are also some dark areas of deep shading. Anyway, I think it's a beautiful screwdriver. It took her about 10 min. to begin and complete the new sketch, I don't remember how long for the older one.

Any of you artists out there that can give me some advice on how to encourage her without pushing her (I've seen stage parents, I imagine the same thing is possible in art and I don't want to do that) would be much appreciate. I'd love to know what kind of supplies she shou
ld have available, how often we should encourage her to draw, what other mediums she should try, etc. Are art classes appropriate at this age? She did participate in an art program after school last year but she hated it and they never seemed to do anything useful (it didn't seem like real instruction, just arts and crafts "art projects") so I didn't push it. Any other (really cheap) ideas you have would be great. Thanks!


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! IMpressive - Obi-Wan has taught her well... Yes, it's Wally. What was your first clue?

The best thing, IMO, let her do it at her own pace - when and where she feels moved to draw, paint, sculpt, etc... Encourage not only the illustrative qualities of her work, but also originality. Have her draw from her imagination. Have her just play with colors and color mixing. Encourage her to do simple iconic sketches with just a few lines. Let her do abstractions and see if she can see or make an image from them (it's usually easy to "see" a flower in an abstraction). Don't force the color wheel yet, but encourage compliments, secondaries and tertiaries. TAKE HER TO MUSEUMS AND GALLERIES!!! I'd venture a guess you've got that one covered.

Above all, PRAY (preach to the choir much? LITERALLY?!? LOL.). She has a natural Gift. It's likely one of many. If it's the one God would have her focus on, she will do so. Drawing is usually the first evidence of creativity that likely goes far beyond the visual arts.

If you're so inclined, I'm @ houston.rr.com now. Same prefixes. I'd LOVE to hear from you guys.

Miss y'all! You're ALWAYS in my prayers. ~ W.

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home