Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Rain, Rain, Go Away


I didn't know until recently all the words for "Rain, Rain Go Away." One of the books the company I was working for used that rhyme and I had to set it to music, it goes like this:



Rain, Rain go away
Come again another day.
Little Jonny wants to play



Rain, rain go to Spain
Never show your face again.



I can't get this song out of my head now because it's been raining here in Houston; off and on for several days now and we've reached the point of cabin fever around here. It's like we're in the UK or something. The worst part is that it's overcast, raining, humid when it's not raining, and still very hot which isn't very much like the UK. I grew up in Florida so I should be able to handle this but rain in FL is very different than rain in Houston- there is a reason they call it liquid sunshine in the sunshine state. Rain there helps cool things down, lasts about 15-45 minutes even if it rains every day, and the sun still shines through the rain. In Houston rain causes the sauna effect so nothing cools down it just feels oppressive in the heat. We've had an ok time though, painted finger and toe nails, made stars, eaten some watermelon, (I've been working too), watched more movies than normally permitted, and found some cool websites including this great one from the San Francisco Symphony. Still, we're ready to go outside and play at the park which is more like a swamp at the moment. Hopefully soon.

Oh, and Steve in Scotland pointed out it's sunny there, sunny. Figures. We're going to eat more watermelon.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

Stereotypes perpetuating a myth? Oh pleeeeeeeeeease! Everyone knows that all stereotypes are true.

You actually looked up how much rain all those places gets? Wow. It may also be worth pointing out that Houston floods nearly every time it rains, at least a little so driving anywhere is rarely an option. I'd gladly live in the UK (or France... or Ireland...) with it's "rainy" climate over Houston with it's "sticky-flooding" climate. Oh well!

For everyone that lives in Houston- though I'm not a fan of the weather, there are some things I really like about Houston, the people being the big one. When I figure out what the other things are, I'll let you know.

6:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home